Best Anime's by Type

The five main types of anime are shonen, shojo, seinen, josei, and kodomomuke, which are all aimed at different genders and age ranges. Having watched my fair share of each, about one anime from each type stands out to me. Heeeeeeeeere they are! 


Shonen: For the most part Shonen manga and anime is aimed at younger boys and are mainly action based, although they aren't all. 

This list includes hits such as Death Note, One Piece, My Hero Academia, Full Metal Alchemist, Demon Slayer (which I am currently making my way through), Attack on Titan, and Seven Deadly Sins. All of these are action-based and full of adventure. However, although one may think it doesn't fit into these genre, my all-time favorite shonen anime is Your Lie in April. 

 I absolutely fell in love with this anime. The style is fantastic and the way that music is portrayed is so beautiful. It's technically a romantic drama about a gifted pianist who can no longer hear the music that he plays. He meets a violinist who inspires him to try and play again. The ending is truly heartbreaking and yes I did ball my eyes out. 

I tell everyone to watch this anime as it will forever be one of my favorites. Not only is the anime beautiful, but it is full of amazing music. I cannot recommend this one enough, and although I do love the other shonen mentioned above, do not sleep on Your Lie in April. The name will make sense after watching the last episode too. 

Shojo: Shojo anime are the opposite of shonen, where they are targeted at young women and often have some sort of romantic aspect to them, although they can be in any genre. 

Popular shojo anime include Ouron High School Host Club,  Blue Spring Ride, and Fruits
Basket. My all time favorite and one of the most popular animes is Sailor Moon. Yes, I was that little girl that devoured this series as a kid. Little did I know that the English dub actually changed a lot of the original Japanese version. I rewatched the OG anime recently and it was so much better. They redid a lot of the animation so it looks better as well. Yes, there                                                                                                                                                                       Yes, there is a lot of strange familial stuff that happens and weird relationships throughout the series, but it is so nostalgic for me, it just brings me back to when I was a kid. I will always have fond memories of enjoying this and it will forever be one of my all-time favorites. 

Seinen: With similar genres to shonen, seinen are also marketed towards men, however usually young adult or older men rather than younger boys and teens because they often have more "mature" themes and content. 

Some popular seinen anime that I have enjoyed include Berserk, Hellsing, and Cowboy Bebop. While these are highly entertaining, seinen anime are probably the type I haven't watched as much of. However, my favorite, and one that I watched relatively recently is Parasyte. 

This anime is about a teenager who gets infected with an alien parasite. Where usually it would burrow into it's hosts brain and take over their body, Shinichi is able to tie off his arm and contain the parasite so that it can only control his right arm. It is an action packed anime and is very mysterious. The parasite, who is named Migi, must work together with Shinichi, although not in some mutual symbiotic relationship. 

Instead, Migi is only keeping Shinichi alive so it doesn't die. This anime is full of intrigue and is actually a lot more philosophical than I was expecting. 10/10 and I highly recommend it. 



Josei: These anime are more mature and marketed towards older female young adults and adults. These often are slice of life, more realistic, and cover more serious topics. 

Some josei anime include Tomie, Orange, Aggretsuko, and Anohana. However, my favorite (and one of my favorite anime's I've ever seen) is Yuri on Ice. It follows an ice skater, Yuri, who is struggling with his career and feelings for his coach, Victor, one of the most successful ice skaters. 

I think this is a highly underrated anime that has very realistic skating with real choreography. This definitely kept me on the edge of my seat every time Yuri performed and gave me the warm fuzzies while watching. This anime will always hold a special place in my heart because it was one of the first that I watched as an adult. 



Kodomomuke: Kodomomuke anime is intended for children. These are usually fun and don't tend to follow an arc throughout a season. There can also be an life education aspect to them too. 

These anime's probably have some of the most recognizable names like Pokemon, Digimon, My Neighbor Tortoro, Hello Kitty, and Ponyo. However, my favorite (and another Ghibli) is Kiki's Delivery Service. This is just such a fun story and definitely brings me back to my childhood. Ah, the simple times. 

This follows Kiki, a young witch, who is leaving home on her own for the first time to fine tune and further discover her powers. It's a slice of life anie and has some very simple, yet beautiful imagery. If you're going to watch any Miyazaki films, definitely make it this one .






Comments