April 2022 New Book Releases By Genre

 Literary Fiction

Author: Jendella Benson 

Info: This is a debut novel by British-Nigerian author Jendella Benson. She previously had a short story, Kindle, published in the Book of Birmingham collection which you can find more information on here. Published by William Morrow & Company, Hope and Glory tells a story of a woman returning to her home after the death of her father to bring her fractured family together.

Will I read it? I normally don't read literary fiction, but out of all the popular releases in this genre it is a maybe for me. 

Nonfiction


Author: Riley Black

Info: Who doesn't like dinosaurs? By now it is common knowledge that they were wiped out due to the aftermaths of a massive impact. But what actually happened to cause them to go extinct? What did the earth look like and what happened to the rest of life on earth at that time? Published by St. Martin's Press, this book will tell all of that and more.

Will I read it? This is they exact type of nonfiction book I love. Science and nature mixed in with a super interesting story. I will read this 100%

Young Adult

Author: Emily X.R. Pan

Info: This book is marketed as a Chinese mythological twist on Romeo and Juliet. There are family secrets, mysterious magic, and young love. Emily X.R. Pan is an APALA Honor Award and Walter Honor Awkl2,3qard winner for her novel The Astonishing Color of After and this sounds like a solid follow-up to her previous success. It sounds like it will be more on the younger side of YA as well. Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, it's released on 4/12.

Will I read it? Hard maybe. It sounds interesting but I've been disappointed by YA recently. We'll see.

Mystery & Thriller

Title: Insomnia
Author: Sarah Pinborough

Info: This stands out among some other popular new thriller releases because it doesn't focus on marriage strife. Instead, this focuses on a sister relationship dealing with some mysterious aspects of their past. It sounds quite dramatic and if it's anything like Pinborough's previous book Behind Her Eyes, the ending will be strange. Published by William Morrow & Company, it is set to be released on 4/12.

Will I read it? YesI prefer to listen to thrillers via audiobook so I will be requesting it from Libby. 

Fantasy

Title: Kaikeyi
Author: Vaishnavi Patel

Info: I am not familiar with the character of this book, but it is based on a Hindu epic, The Ramayan. Kaikeyi was a princess and warrior who exiled her stepson after he was crowned King. This is a reimagining of her life and sounds very interesting. This debut is being published by Redhook and will be published on 4/26. Patel's short stories have previously been featured in The Dark Magazine and the 87 Bedford Historic Fantasy Anthology. 

Will I read it? Absolutely! I haven't read many historical fantasies but this sounds fantastic. 

Author: Rory Power

Info: This magic system sounds very unique. Control over the seasons, tides, and stars is not something I think I've ever read before. It sounds like there will be plenty of political intrigue as well which is always welcome in my fantasy reads. While I did attempt to read Wilder Girls by this author before, this by far sounds more interesting and up my alley. Published by Del Rey Books, it will be out on 4/5. 

Will I read it? Definitely! This sounds like it was written specifically for me.


Title: Nettle & Bone
Author: T. Kingfisher

Info:  This sounds like a dark fairytale. With witches, fairies, and quests, I believe this is a retelling but of what fairytale I am not sure. It's about Marra, who was raised in a convent who is trying to kill the crown prince. I love murderous convent stories. T. Kingfisher (also known as Ursula Vernon) has won Hugo, Sequoya, and Ursa Major Awards and I can't believe I have never heard of her before. Published by Tor Books (one of my favorite publishers) it will be out on 4/26. 

Will I read it? No question. I have pre-ordered it already. 

Science Fiction

Author: Adrienne Celt

Info: It's been so long since I read a Groundhog's Day type story. I love the sound of this book where two best friends are trapped in an apocalyptic situation, reliving the same day over and over. I haven't read Celt's previous books, one of which, The Daughters, won the 2015 PEN Southwest Book Award. This is set to be released on 4/19 by Simon Schuster. 

Will I read it? You betcha! Not only is the cover a trippy, gorgeous mess, but the synopsis sounds amazing.


Title: Sea of Tranquility
Author: Emily St. John Mandel

Info: I'm guessing this book is on a lot of readers radar. I absolutely adored Station Eleven by the author and I really hope this lives up to it. I skipped Glass House because of it but will probably go back and read it. I'm having a really hard time summarizing what this book is about so I'll just say it jumps through time to a moon colony. Published by Knopf, it will be released on 4/5. 

Will I read it? Although I am skeptical it will live up to Station Eleven, I will still read it. 

Comments