Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Graphic Novels

 There are some AMAZING graphic novels in the SFF genres. There's something about the medium that I really enjoy. Things can be a little stranger, the art helps me know what the world and characters look like, and depending on the style, it can give an atmosphere that makes for a great reading experience. 

Here are some of my all-time favorite SFF graphic novels. Keep in mind that I am not a super experienced graphic novel reader, but I definitely plan on finishing all of these series and continuing to explore more.


Saga



This may be my absolute favorite graphic novel series that I've ever read. Published by Image comics, it starts off with a literal birth and is narrated by the child when she is older. In short, it is about a galaxy at war, with two different races of beings each trying to kill each other. When Alana, a soldier from the planet Landfall, has a baby with Marco, who is a soldier from Landfall's moonworld Wreath, the three of them go on the run. Basically, the baby is an "abomination" and both warring sides want to kill it. What follows is a story full of strange characters and multiple species and worlds. I love this and always recommend it to people who are looking for a good comic/graphic novel. 

Written by Brian K. Vaughn and illustrated by Fiona Staple (who I got to see at Emerald City Comic Con and I totally geeked out) it is both a beautiful story that sometimes feels all too real for being a space opera/fantasy series. I love that it has elements of both of my favorite genres, and it is done quite successfully. At times it is over the top but it doesn't ever take away from the main story. I am so glad that it is finally being continued this year as well. I will definitely be grabbing it as soon as it is available. 

Monstress



This series is a masterpiece! Published by Image Comics, it is a fairly complicated plot where there is a lot of backstory that we learn as we go. I actually had to reread the first volume about a year after I first did because I felt like I missed so much. It follows Maika who has a strange link with a powerful being. She is an Arcane, a group who has magic but normally doesn't look human. The Arcanes are hunted and misunderstood and have an ongoing war with humankind. 

The artwork in this is breathtakingly beautiful. It is one of the most intricate that I've ever seen and I found myself just staring and getting lost in it. The world that is built here is just as complex. I recommend not rushing through this and just enjoying it slowly because I made the mistake the first time of reading it too quickly and much was lost on me. Written by Marjorie Liu and illustrated by Sana Takeda, this series is a must-read for dark fantasy lovers. 

The Wicked + The Divine


I'm only now realizing that my favorite graphic novels are all published by Image Comics. This contemporary fantasy follows a teen as she meets a group of twelve individuals known as The Pantheon. They are actually reincarnated mythological gods who are given powers but must die two years later in a cycle known as The Recurrance. Unlike the previous two, this is more fast paced and takes place in a modern world. It deals with just as heavy themes though. Don't take it's colorful pages and pop culture themes lightly because the actual subject matter is a lot deeper. 

I love the vibrancy of the artwork. It is bold and reading this always makes me want to listen to music and dance. To me, the main character, Laura, is very relatable it makes reading the series more enjoyable. Written by Kieron Gillen and Illustrated by Jamie McKelvie with letters by Clayton Cowles and coloring by Matt Wilson, I recommend this series to anyone that has a strong connection to music and loves things bright and bold. 

Alex + Ada


I swear, I do read other publishers and not just Image Comics, but Alex + Ada also happens to be published by them. It follows the title character, Alex, who is gifted an android, Ada after his breakup and subsequent depression. The story follows the two after he removes her programming, granting her freedom. This, however, is illegal so she still must pretend in public to be an obedient android. 

The artwork, compared to other graphic novels I've read, is more simplistic and very clean. This doesn't make it bad, however. Rather it is a reflection of the future portrayed inside. This is reminiscent of 80's sci-fi that portrays a clean future with technology that has gone just a tad too far. It deals with important themes such as civil rights and how humanity treats those we don't see as equals. This is a quicker read but no less enjoyable.

Sandman


This graphic novel series is published by Vertigo, a DC Comics imprint. It is written by Neil Gaiman with a slew of artists (Sam Keigh, Jill Thompson, Mike Dringenberg, Shawn McManus, Marc Hempel, Bryan Talbot, and Michael Zulli) with lettering by Todd Klein and cover designs by Dave McKean.  It is one of the few graphic novel series to appear on the NY Times Best Seller list as well.  

It follows 'the Sandman', Dream, also known as Morpheus, who is one of the beings known as Endless. Basically, he is dreams personified. It is a very complicated story with multiple time jumps and characters. It is sort of an anti-hero story, where you want to root for and against Morpheus. At least that as my experience while reading. The artwork is very dark and so is some of the subject matter. It has inspired multiple spin-offs as well as the show Lucifer and an audiobook series with an amazing full cast. The Sandman TV series supposedly finished filming it's first season after multiple delays and I could not be more excited. 


I definitely recommend these five graphic novel series to all SFF lovers. People may say that comics and GN doesn't count as reading, or that they're not real books, but I couldn't disagree more. It's just a different medium. If the story is moving and means something to you, don't let people tell you that it's not "real literature". 



Comments