British Book Awards Shortlist

The British Book Awards, or the Nibbies, is a series of awards given by The Bookseller. They are a British magazine that reports book reviews, author interviews, and more publications on the book world. The awards don't only celebrate authors, but other people in the publishing world, known as the Trade Awards. 

Book of the Year Shortlists

Fiction

1) Beautiful World, Where Are You by Sally Rooney

Out of these six novels, I've read Cloud Cuckoo Land, Klara and the Sun, and Empire of the Vampire. I have previously tried to read Sally Rooney (Normal People) and I just couldn't connect with her writing. However, #1 was Rooney's publishers (Faber & Faber) highest selling book in history. #2 was just ok in my opinion, as was #4. Both had amazing concepts that I felt simply fell a bit flat in their execution. I don't really read historical fiction so I don't know anything about #6 other than it was the only book not published in 2021 that is nominated for this award. My personal pick is #3. I think Jay Kristoff's book (the first in a series) did an amazing job of bringing back vampires into adult literature without it being cliché. It was a 5 star read for me and I really hope it wins.

Pageturner


Three out of the six (#1, 3, and 6) are all described as "chick lit". Now, I have nothing against this genre. If you love it good on you and I hope you continue to enjoy them. However, this genre just is not for me anymore. I read a ton of Sophie Kinsella (Shopahollic) in high school but I don't find enjoyment in them anymore. The only one I actually read was #2 and it was a 5 star read so of course I want this to win. #5 is on my TBR list so maybe I'll get to it before the actual award is announced but either way I do plan on reading it. I want to get more into mythological retellings because they all sound so good!

Fiction - Crime & Thriller

1) Girl A by Abigail Dean

2) 1979 by Val McDermid

Out of all of these, I only read #5 and didn't particularly like it. #1 has been on hold at my library for a couple months now and it sounds very compelling. I usually listen to thriller books through the Libby App as well instead of a physical copy. I find them easier to digest that way. The other 4 books don't sound like they are up my alley so I don't' think I'll be picking them up. However, all of these books were huge bestsellers so please don't take my word for it. 

Fiction - Debut


These books all were written by debut authors in their perspective categories. We have two fantasies (although one is also told in poetry form), three contemporary books, and one thriller. I've only read #6 and it wasn't my favorite, and #3 is on my TBR list. If #5 wins, I'll add it to my TBR as well because it does sound like I'd enjoy it, I'm just judging a book by it's cover (I know, I know. I'm not supposed to do that) and I really am not intrigued by it.

Other Categories

Audiobook - Fiction
Children's - Fiction

Children's - Nonfiction

Children's - Illustrated

Discover

Nonfiction - Lifestyle

Nonfiction - Narrative

There are also Trade Awards which are for other aspects of the publishing industry we don't normally think about. 

Comments