REVIEW: The Humans by Matt Haig

Title: The Humans
Author: Matt Haig
Publisher: Simon Schuster
Published Date: July 2, 2013
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: 
Awards/Nominations: 

REVIEW

I absolutely loved this book. The humor, the subject matter, the characterization, and the mystery surrounding the alien race that our MC is a part of. There were parts that made me actually laugh out loud. In this book, we follow an alien that is sent to inhabit the body of a mathematician who has solved the problem that would propel humanity in ways that simply cannot be. This alien knows nothing about humanity and the way that we live, so reading his thoughts about clothes and coffee and pets and every other aspect of normal life was very funny and eye opening. 

I really liked the story and the way the character grows. Without giving too much away, imagine being dropped on another planet where the way of life is unlike anything you could imagine. Soon you learn what it is to actually be human. In that way, this book was very heartwarming. I don't often think of what it actually is to be alive and to love and experience this planet. I flew through this book and did not want to put it down. It brought a smile to my face and more surprisingly, tears to my eyes. Although I shouldn't be surprised because I have cried over every book Matt Haig has written that I've read. 

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I love the way he takes a concept and makes me think about life in different ways. Humans are complicated creatures and we get to experience all these unique things that make our species different than others. I really want to make my way through his backlist and read The Radley's, How to Stay Alive, and Ghostwalk. They all have fairly high ratings and since I loved this one and The Midnight Library I'm hoping I won't be disappointed. I can't really say much more about this book because any more will give it all away, but I highly recommend this to readers of weird sci-fi. 

Comments