REVIEW: Iron Gold (Red Rising Saga #4) by Pierce Brown

Title: Iron Gold
Author: Pierce Brown
Publisher: Del Rey Books
Published Date: January 16, 2018
Genre: Sci-Fi (Fantasy)
Rating: 
Awards/Nominations: 


REVIEW

I put this off for way too long. I fell in love with the original trilogy (Red Rising, Golden Son, & Morning Star) when they were originally published. I was still in college and vividly remember it being one of the first books I read for pleasure in the last three years of me being there. It brought me instantly back to my high school days of reading whenever I had a spare moment. The characters were vivid, the world captivating, and the story both heartbreaking and heartfelt. To this day the original trilogy is one of my absolute favorite series. And that is why I couldn't bring myself to read this book. 

For the past five years I've had it on my TBR list of books that I absolutely must read. Each year I'd pick it up but just couldn't read it. Finally I found that I wanted to read it. With two books out in the series and the third one's expected publication date later this year, I knew it was time. I am one of those readers that is against reading something just for the sake of it. I never force myself to pick up a book I'm not in the mood for and I DNF a book if I'm not enjoying myself. I am so glad that I waiting to read this. 

To me, this is unlike any other sci-fi series that I've read before. It takes place in our solar system, with familiar places, but the future that Pierce Brown has created is just breathtaking. Without giving away the original trilogy (and if you haven't read the first three, why are you here silly?) this takes place after the "good guys" have won. I thought Morning Star ended perfectly and I loved where Iron Gold picked up. Many sci-fi series end where the conflict in the original storyline ends. This picks up after that and we get to find out how the rest of the solar system is coping with the Rising. 

POV characters in this book (taken from the author's website)

The plot lines were so compelling. I loved that it followed multiple points of view. One of a Red that had been "saved" from the mines, one of Darrow himself and how he is managing being seen as both a hero and a villain, one of a soldier on a dangerous mission, and one of Lysander as he is exiled. I think the multiple POV gave different views on the same issue and that is one I don't normally see in books like this. Usually we read from the main characters view and of their opinions and goals, and possibly their opposition. But here we get so much more depth because we are seeing things play out from so many different areas, where each character has a different background with different reactions. The change from a single POV in the originally trilogy (Darrow) to multiple was a brilliant shift in my opinion. 

This book further solidified Pierce Brown as one of my favorite modern SFF authors as I feel he can perfectly mesh together action, humor, emotion, and both strong characterization and world-building elements. The way he tells a story makes the pacing quick without feeling rushed. I cannot wait to continue this saga with Dark Age, and I am so happy that this book lived up to my expectations. 

Till next time Howlers...

Comments