May 2022 Book Releases

 Sci-Fi

Author: Erin Swan

Info: 
This book jumps between a couple different time lines that explores themes of ancestry, legacy, family trauma, as well as destruction of the planet. It sounds like it will be a beautifully written story. It is the authors debut novel which makes me that much more excited to read it because it sounds like such a complex plot. The cover being gorgeous is just another reason to read it. I already have it on hold at my library and I plan on reading it as soon as I can. 


Author: Christopher Rowe

Info: 
This novella is about the aftermath of a state transformed by an A.I. controlled war. It is marketed as post-apocalyptic and the cover definitely feels rather eerie. Rowe is a Hugo and Nebula nominated author and has been included in numerous Best SFF anthologies. Without a doubt I will read this. I have been loving novellas lately and this one sounds like it will be absolutely fantastic. And just look at that cover! 

 
Author: Neil Sharpson

Info: 
Published by Tor, this novel discusses the topics of authoritarianism, control, and what it means to be human. It involves artificial intelligence that resembles a human who is able to enter the country for the first time. This country is politically controlled and the synopsis makes it seem like it will include some sort of political conspiracy and propaganda. With a rather subdued cover, I'm curious as to how this will be received. This is Sharpson's debut as well. 



Fantasy

Author: Simon Jimenez

Info: 
Are you kidding me with this cover! Chef's kiss! Absolutely gorgeous. These vibrant colors instantly make me intrigued. This is about a god that is locked away by an emperor who has stolen it's powers. It promises to me unlike nothing else I've read before and that is a HUGE promise. I loved Jimenez's last book, The Vanished Birds, which was a Locus, Arthur C. Clarke, British Fantasy Award, and the Goodreads Choice nominee. I really hope this follow up is even better because the synopsis sounds freaking fantastic


Author: Holly Black

Info: 
I am very intrigued by Holly Blacks foray into adult fantasy. This seems like it will be a mysterious fantasy that sounds like a mix of Foundryside and Mistborn. It deals with shadows that can be altered by magic with secrets, thieves, murders, and promises some sinister twists. As one of my most anticipated reads of 2022, I really hope this doesn't disappoint. Her books have been hit or miss with me and she has dominated the YA realm and I hope she's able to do the same in the adult side of fantasy. 


Title: Siren Queen
Author: Nghi Vo 

Info: Vo has been killing it with her novellas for the past few years. It may be blasphemy but I have yet to read one of them. I have them both on my kindle but I just haven't gotten around to it as of yet. I haven't read many historical fantasy books that take place in the 20's but this sounds very unique. It's about monsters in the movie industry, which hits very close to reality it seems. Her novella The Empress of Salt and Fortune won the Huogo award last year and was nominated for many others. I promise I will get to all three of these this year. 


Author: Chelsea Abdullah

Info: May seems to be the month for fantasy releases. This is yet another highly anticipated release for me. I love the trope of illegal magic. There's just something about reading from a morally grey character's point of view that really makes me intrigued. This book was inspired by One Thousand and One Nights, which in itself is a fantastic collection of stories. With it being the start of a new epic fantasy trilogy, I cannot wait to read this. Oh, and also it's a debut. So many debut sound amazing recently. 



Horror

Title:
Hide
Author: Kiersten White

Info: This cover looks creepy and reminds me of those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. The wispy character just makes me want to read it. Set in an abandoned amusement park, this reminds me of classic horror films where one by one people go missing only to show up dead a couple scenes later. I have previously read White's YA fantasy books and I am looking forward to her first adult horror. I love when authors try something new and I really hope Hide is as good as it sounds.


Title:
Black Tide
Author: K.C. Jones

Info: This is marketed as Cujo meets A Quiet Place. This sci-fi horror takes place in the aftermath of some apocalyptic event that leaves the earth overrun with nightmarish creatures. I'm not usually one for creature horror but I do love character driven books which this is described as. I also tend to like survival horror because there is just something so humanizing about fighting for your life. Even a terrible person is interesting to read about in a survival situation. 



Author: Anne Heltzel

Info: This horror thriller is about people who have escaped from a cult. The synopsis doesn't really give anything away, which I do like. All I know is that it is about cults and the fertility industry. I'm wondering, from the cover alone, if it is about some sort of A.I. because the baby on the cover looks like a robot. Maybe they are building babies or something? All I know is that I am very, very intrigued and want to read this right away. 






Comments