REVIEW: Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Duology #1).

Title: Daughter of the Moon Goddess
Author: Sue Lynn Tan
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Published Date: January 11, 2022
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★⍣





REVIEW


It's hard to believe that this is a debut for this author. It definitely feels like Tan has been writing for quite a while because this plot flowed beautifully. I have to be honest, when I first decided to pick it up, I was skeptical of it's length. However, it's 500+ pages definitely were not fully of unnecessary plot drivel. It's split into three parts and each part was a clearly defined part of Xingyin's life. It was easy to follow and quickly paced enough that the length didn't cause any slow drag.

This book follows Xingyin, the daughter of the Moon Goddess, Chang'e. She had been hidden from the Celestial Kingdom after her mother drinks an elixir that granted them both immortality. It was not meant for her so she was punished to be trapped forever. Xingyin is forced to flee but makes it her life's goal to free her mother from imprisonment. She must disguise who she is as she becomes an archer in the Celestials army in hopes of freeing her mother. 

I really enjoyed the whole of this book. The worldbuilding was great and I was able to clearly visualize the worlds. The descriptions were vivid without too much info dump on the history. Instead, it was woven into the story fairly seamlessly. The characters were a strong point as well. Their personalities were unique and I really liked that although Xingyin could have easily fallen into the 'not-like-other-girls' trope, Tan managed to make her unique without bringing down the other women in the story. 

The mythology was good as well. I love books where I can explore a culture that I am not part of, and this did a brilliant job. I tend to like books that take a myth, or figure from one, and put a new spin on it for people who have never heard it to enjoy. 

There was, however, one thing that I did not like about it. I should have known it was coming, given that it is a young adult book too. Sadly, this book had a love triangle. I used to love them, but now I just find myself annoyed whenever they pop up. And while Xingyin wasn't involved deeply with both men at once, with a defined relationship and all, the love triangle tension and classic feel was still there. Just once, I'd love a young adult fantasy where there is either no love interest at all, or just one. Not every fantasy needs the MC to be torn between two lovers or have multiple men (because usually I've found it happens between a main female character and two male characters) pining after her. It has gotten old in my opinion. 

Regardless of that small detail, I still greatly enjoyed this read and am intrigued as to where the second book will go from here. The story seemed to wrap up nicely with no lingering plot points. I am sort of feeling like it doesn't need a sequel, but perhaps it will follow a different character that was mentioned it this one? I just hope it doesn't follow a romance heavy plot, seeing as it was only a minor plot in this one. I loved the fact that the main bond in this book was a familial one and not a romantic one. Xingyin's love for her mother never wavered and she always had freeing her as the main goal. 

 The only aspect that really took it out of the adult category was the love triangle. Perhaps the violence was toned down a bit as well. Overall, I would highly recommend this book, even to readers who don't typically read YA. I can tell this is a great start to what will be a successful writing career for Tan. 

Comments