REVIEW: The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time #4) by Robert Jordan

Title: The Shadow Rising
Author: Robert Jordan
Publisher: Tor Books
Published Date: September 15, 1992
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: ★★★⍣☆





REVIEW

I am currently determined to finish this series in 2022. I've previously attempted to read The Wheel of Time but stopped after book 7. People tell me that I was almost through "the slog" so I decided to reread the series. Honestly, I was a bit inspired by the show on Amazon Prime. I really enjoyed the first season but felt like if I hadn't read the first few books I would have been lost. 

The Shadow Rising is the fourth in the series, and out of them, I have to say it was my least favorite so far. The pacing of the book is much like the others, with a drawn out middle and with it ending in a bang. This one in particular felt like the plot took much longer to get going. The characters were all in vastly different places and I found it somewhat difficult to keep track of who was where. Out of the four, it also took me the longest to get through which makes sense because it is the the longest as well. 

Another reason I think I liked this one the least is because the characters made more frustrating decisions. I tend to get rather tired of meaningless bickering and this book had a lot of that. I absolutely hate petty arguments, and by now, the characters should be old enough that they don't do this anymore. I know there is more coming but I really wish Jordan did a better job at writing the younger female characters. When I go into a fantasy book, I don't want relationship drama, I want the fantastical elements to shine. Sadly in this installment, I felt like they took a backseat. 

Don't get me wrong, when it was there, it hit hard. I loved Rand's storyline and the direction of his character. He is having to prove who he is and the scenes when they enter the ter'angreal where amazing. But then we get to Egwaine's portions and I really found myself having to push through them.

One thing that I really enjoyed, however, was the progression of many of his characters. Perrin, for example, kind of moved out of Rand's shadow a bit and had a much more independent story arc. Min also, instead of developing as a side character, her journey was a main focus of much of this book. I also liked Mat's growth. As much as most of the men are seeming to grow as characters, I really wish more of the women received the same treatment.

I also really enjoyed where each character ended up. Jordan set up each of the group for a really good start in the next one. However, all the books so far have ended extremely well. I know I've read through book 7 but I honestly cannot remember much since I attempted this series when I was very new to adult fantasy years ago. I really hope the pacing picks up before I hit the slog again. 


Comments