57th Nebula Award Winners

 

Winners and Nominees

The Nebula Awards are voted on by members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. They are awarded to the most outstanding speculative fiction works that were published the previous year. Here are the most recent winners, which were announced on May 21, 2022. 

BEST NOVEL


Title: A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom)

Synopsis: "Cairo, 1912: Though Fatma el-Sha’arawi is the youngest woman working for the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities, she’s certainly not a rookie, especially after preventing the destruction of the universe last summer.


So when someone murders a secret brotherhood dedicated to one of the most famous men in history, al-Jahiz, Agent Fatma is called onto the case. Al-Jahiz transformed the world 50 years ago when he opened up the veil between the magical and mundane realms, before vanishing into the unknown. This murderer claims to be al-Jahiz, returned to condemn the modern age for its social oppressions. His dangerous magical abilities instigate unrest in the streets of Cairo that threaten to spill over onto the global stage.

Alongside her Ministry colleagues and her clever girlfriend Siti, Agent Fatma must unravel the mystery behind this imposter to restore peace to the city - or face the possibility he could be exactly who he seems...."

My Thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book. So much, in fact, that it was my favorite read of 2021. I really connected with Fatima. Her personality jumped out of the pages and she really felt like a real person and not just a character I was reading on paper. The world building was 10/10 fantastic as well. I really loved delving into the magic in this book. It was both a scientific and magical world that felt completely unique. It was just one of the best books I've read this year and a great one to help finish 2021 on. I cannot wait to read more from Clark. His voice as an author felt new, refreshing, and exactly what I was looking for. I also loved Machinehood by S.B. Divya (Saga), but I have yet to read the other nominees.

BEST NOVELLA


TitleAnd What Can We Offer You Tonight by Premee Mohamed (Neon Hemlock)

Synopsis: "In a far future city, where you can fall to a government cull for a single mistake, And What Can We Offer You Tonight tells the story of Jewel, established courtesan in a luxurious House. Jewel’s world is shaken when her friend is murdered by a client, but somehow comes back to life. To get revenge, they will both have to confront the limits of loyalty, guilt, and justice."

My Thoughts: 
I have yet to read any of these novellas, but mot, if not all of them are on my TBR. This one does sound very interesting because I love to read authors interpretations of a possible future. This one does sound far-fetched, but I just think reading about possible futures is fascinating, because I'll never get to see if anything I've read from modern authors happens, or even comes close to happening. 

BEST NOVELLETE


Title:  “O2 Arena” by Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki, published by Galaxy’s Edge (Apex)

Synopsis: DISCLAIMER:  I have not been able to find a synopsis for this novellete online, so what follows is the authors dedication. 

This story is dedicated to Voke Omawunmi Stephen, Emeka Walter Dinjos, and all those struggling with cancer and other similar ailments. Especially to beautiful young Nigerians who had to and are still labouring under the yoke of disability and various health maladies in a broken system with poor to no healthcare. One that’s failed thoroughly and forced them to a death match in the hopeless arena of life, leaving them to struggle viciously and alone, for the very air in their lungs. And lastly to all those living where there is no freedom. For without inner freedom, there can be no life.

My Thoughts:
I desperately want to read this. From the rave reviews, it seems to be about real life issues that already effect many people. Not only did it win this award, but it was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novellete and the BSFA for Shorter Fiction. It is available to read for free on Apex Magazine's website, and I have already bookmarked it so I can read it soon.

BEST SHORT STORY


Title: "Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather" by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny)

Summary: "As contributors to a crowdsourced website discuss how to best construct an article about the history and meaning of the (fictitious) folk song "Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather", they gradually uncover a dark secret."

My Thoughts:
This short story is told in a very unique format. One thing that I like about Uncanny Magazine, is that they do tend to take risk. Just take how they describe themselves: "Each issue contains intricate, experimental stories and poems with verve and imagination that elicit strong emotions and challenge beliefs, from writers of every conceivable background. Uncanny believes there's still plenty of room in the genre for tales that make you feel." I definitely agree with this. I tend to enjoy stories more when I can connect to the characters and when the emotions are just as hard hitting for the reader. Uncanny makes an effort to showcase a wide range of writers, which I also appreciate. Although I no longer have a subscription to them, many of their stories/poem/etc. can be found on their website. Although I didn't necessarily enjoy this particular winner, I do find that the length of short stories are the hardest for me to get into. 

RAY BRADBURY AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING DRAMATIC PRESENTATION


Title: WandaVision: Season 1 written by Peter Cameron, Mackenzie Dohr, Laura Donney, Bobak Esfarjani, Megan McDonnell, Jac Schaeffer, Cameron Squires, Gretchen Enders, and Chuck Hayward (Marvel Studios)

Synopsis: "Living idealized suburban lives, super-powered beings Wanda and Vision begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems."

My Thoughts
This was one of the few things that Marvel has released recently that felt original. I think it is because it's not directly based off of a comic book. While it does take inspiration from various storylines from the comics, I think by giving the creators more freedom, it became something that is better than I find Marvel normally to be. I think Elizabeth Olsen does a fantastic job in the role and the season had some great reveals that, while they were hinted at, at least I didn't expect them all. 

ANDRE NORTON AWARD FOR MIDDLE GRADE AND YOUNG ADULT FICTION


Title A Snake Falls to Earth by Darcie Little Badger (Levine Querido)

SynopsisNina is a Lipan girl in our world. She's always felt there was something more out there. She still believes in the old stories.

Oli is a cottonmouth kid, from the land of spirits and monsters. Like all cottonmouths, he's been cast from home. He's found a new one on the banks of the bottomless lake.

Nina and Oli have no idea the other exists. But a catastrophic event on Earth, and a strange sickness that befalls Oli's best friend, will drive their worlds together in ways they haven't been in centuries.

And there are some who will kill to keep them apart.

My Thoughts:
This is currently on my TBR list. I don't read as much YA as I used to, but the ones I have read recently I've really enjoyed. I also have Elatsoe on my TBR and definitely plan on getting to both of them soon. The only other one that I have read that was nominated was Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao, and since I loved that, I have high hopes for A Snake Falls to Earth. 

BEST GAME WRITING


TitleThirsty Sword Lesbians by April Kit Walsh, Whitney Delagio, Dominique Dickey, Jonaya Kemper, Alexis Sara, and Rae Nedjadi (Evil Hat Productions)

SynopsisThirsty Sword Lesbians battle the Lady of Chains when her enforcers march down from the frosty north. They rocket through the stars to safeguard diplomats ending a generations-old conflict. Even when swords are crossed, they seek peace with their opponent—and sometimes connect more deeply than anyone expects.

A sword duel can end in kissing, a witch can gain her power by helping others find love, and an entire campaign can be built around wandering  matchmakers flying from system to system.

Thirsty Sword Lesbians is a roleplaying game for telling queer stories with friends. If you love angsty disaster lesbians with swords, you have come to the right place.

My Thoughts:
I recently saw this in a comic book/gaming store and I was very intrigued. My favorite types of game are RPGs, and this one sounds like a lot of fun. 










Comments