REVIEW: The Sword of Kaigen by M.L. Wang

Author: M.L. Wang
Publisher: Indie (self published)
Published Date: February 19, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★★
Award: 


REVIEW

This book has made me realize that I need to give indie books more of a chance. I don't purposefully ignore them, it's just that I hear more about traditionally published books and they are more accessible from my library, where I read from for the most part. However, seeing as I've absolutely loved the last few indie books I've picked up (Rage of Dragons, The Shadow of What Was Lost, and now this one) I want to give the less hyped ones a chance as well. 

SUMMARY

This book follows two main points of view, a teenage Mamoru and his mother, Misaki. Mamoru is trying to follow in his families footsteps to master a specific fighting technique that is generational. He spends his time going to school trying to hone his skills. However, when a foreign student starts at his school, he realizes everything he knows about his country and it's people, as well as those from surrounding nations, may be a lie. 

Misaki is a former swordfighter who, in her youth, helped clear the streets of crime. Many years later, she finds herself in an arranged marriage, raising four sons who are supposed to uphold the Matsuda name. She has hidden away the part of herself that she used to be passionate about and instead retreated in attempts to become the perfect housewife. But when her son begins to be more curious about other countries and the history of Kaigen, the older parts of herself begin to emerge once more. 

This book is a stand-alone and involves family dynamics, heavy emphasis on politics, and a elemental magic system that manages to feel familiar and unique at the same time. 

MY THOUGHTS

Holy crap, guys! This book was fantastic! I was a tad bit worried that it would turn out to be overhyped but I enjoyed every last page of this epic fantasy book. Mamoru was such a great character to open with. I like when characters are challenged in a way that doesn't feel forced or too in-your-face. It also felt extremely authentic in the way that he was defensive about something he had thought to be true his whole life. People don't simply change their mind when told something once. There is a process we go through to realize what actually is going on around us. 

I also loved Misaki. It was heartbreaking to read at times, especially seeing the things she was forced to go through simply to lose respect in the process. Her story was a reminder of struggles many women still face countries across the world. I like when books make you realize things about yourself in the process and her life story made me feel extremely fortunate to live in a place where I was able to decide my lifepath. Misaki was not so lucky. Forced into a marriage, forced to give up her passion, forced to submit when she knows it's not the right thing to do. I felt so happy for her when she was able to stand up for herself and say what was on her mind. 

The magic system was also incredibly cool. There are plenty of books that have a basis of elemental magic, and I know many of them get compared to Avatar: the Last Airbender, but I find the comparison unnecessary. You can take something similar and put your own spin on it. There is nothing wrong with using a well-known magic system because what was written here was so different than any other elemental magic that I've seen before. Sure, there was water, fire, wind, etc., but the way Wang described the usage was so in depth and original. In the combat scenes, which were extremely visual, I was able to picture what each character was doing. From the stances to the way they were holding their weapons, it was so easy to visualize. I love highly descriptive works like this and I just ate it up. 

Now, political fantasies can sometimes grate on me, but this was navigated very well. There was a particular scene (SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM IN 3...2...1) where we learn that Kaigen has been lying to it's citizens. Not only lying, but covering up something huge. It made me react. I was angry for the characters. I could feel their outrage and their fear. I couldn't find a fault in how Wang created such a full world. 

I can see people possibly having issues with the ending, but it was right up my alley. I think this is a must read for epic fantasy fans and definitely makes me want to pick up more indie books. 

Comments