REVIEW: The Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

 


This is the first DC movie that I actually enjoyed fully. I've watched Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and both Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman: 1984. All of those had some element that just didn't sit right with me. Whether it be acting issues or some strong cheesy aspect, it was just something about that I didn't like. Birds of Prey was the opposite. 

Birds of Prey was directed by Cathy Yan and shows the aftermath of Harley and the Joker's breakup. Not only was it the first R-rated film in the DC extended universe, it also had a much smaller budget the it's predecessors. I think the bump in rating definitely worked in its favor. Usually I find 'superhero' movies too clean and unrealistic, but this was bloody and violent and funny. Having watched the CW shows, I was familiar with the characters introduced, including the Huntress and Black Canary. Both, I think, were much better done in Birds of Prey. 

I loved the humor in this movie. It simultaneously poked fun at the superhero tropes while creating situations that were wacky and fun. From the shoe change, to the funhouse fight, to the grenade ending, the funny parts were so well blended in with the action sequences. And these sequences felt unique to this movie too. The roller blade chase was fantastic. 


The whole cast did amazingly well. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn led the cast. Ella Jay Basco, who portrayed Cassandra Cain in her first full length movie appearance killed it. I will watch anything with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who played the Huntress and Jurnee Smollett as Blaack Canary rounded out the group. The disgraced cop played by Rosie Perez was the only person I thought didn't fit 100% in with the group, but by the end I as fully on board. 

And speaking of the ending, it was fantastic. I don't think I've ever seen a villain come to such an abrupt end, but it felt very on brand. Overall this movie was a surprise, in a very good way. It is unclear whether or not there will be a sequel to this specific movie, but there is set to be both a Batgirl movie and a Black Canary movie, with Smollett reprising her role. If the vibe is anything like Birds of Prey, I will definitely be watching. 


Comments