Most Anticipated Backlist Books of 2023

My backlist is constantly changing. For the most part, I don't like to keep books on my TBR for longer than five years unless I'm waiting for a series to be completed. There have been too many times where I've started series only for them not to be finished, and by the time they are, I had forgotten everything. These books are the oldest on my TBR, which I regularly clear out at the end of each year. 

 1. The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu (sci-fi/fantasy)

I really loved the previous short story collection, The Hidden Girls and Other Stories, so I am really excited to give this a try. Collections do tend to be hit or miss with me, and usually I end up giving them 3/5 stars. Liu's last collection was one of the few that I've enjoyed most or all of the stories in. I really hope this follows suit as it an even higher overall rating.  






2. The First Sister Trilogy by Linden A. Lewis (sci-fi)

I have had this first book on my kindle for years now. The trilogy is finally completed so it is my first sci-fi series that I'm going to tackle this year. I like to read series back to back, so I'm excited to not have to wait years to continue this one. It sounds incredibly interesting and like it should be fast paced. It also was nominated for Goodreads choice award for best debut novel and best sci-fi novel. First Sister was followed by Second Rebel and The Last Hero, which actually have better ratings overall than the first in the series. I lvoe books that get better as they go, and this sounds like one of them. 



3. Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky (sci-fi)

I have really been loving novellas recently. There's something so satisfying about reading a shorter book that still manages to be a complete story. I have never read anything by Tchaikovsky, and to be honest, his books intimidate me somewhat. I think a novella length is a perfect way to dive into a new author, especially one that has a reputation for writing complicated plots. Elder Race was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novella and lost to A Psalm for the Wild-Built. I am anticipating that this is going to be good. 




4. Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire (fantasy)

This series is an exception to my "never read ongoing series rule". There are already quite a few finished and it sounds like the series is nearly complete as it is. I really enjoyed the first two novellas in this series but am curious as to how they are going to connect. I really like McGuire's writing style as well, for both long and short form stories. I think her plot pacing is fantastic and she has really strong characters in everything I've read from her thus far. This was not only nominated for the Hugo Award for best novella in 2019 and the World Fantasy award for best novella, but also the Goodreads choice award for fantasy in 2018. 


5. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (horror)

I vaguely remember trying to read this in high school and I thought it was completely weird. I had no experience reading anything other than YA at the time so I quickly put it down. However, a friend recently encouraged me to pick it up again after I had liked everything else he'd recommended. I did try to get an ebook copy but I don't think it will have the same impact due to it's unique structure. I rarely try books that I've DNF'd but given that I was in no way ready to read this the first time, I can't wait to give this another try. 




7. Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix (horror)

I have really enjoyed, and really disliked Hendrix's previous two backlist books I've read. I did like another series that sounds very similar to this (Finna by Nino Cipri), so I think I'll like this one as well. If not, this will be the last backlist of his that I read. Both is books tended to be a bit quirky alongside the spooky factor, and this one sounds like it will be a classic haunted house trope story. I do love a good haunted house book, plus this one is both short and a Goodreads choice nominee for best horror in 2014. 



8. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (sci-fi/horror) - REVIEW

I fully intended to read this book in 2022 but it is still on hold at my library. I have heard nothing but good things about this book online and really enjoyed Moreno-Garcia's previous work. Her writing was very fast paced and she was able to create that spooky atmosphere I crave in books. This was nominated for the Goodreads choice award for best sci-fi in 2022 but narrowly lost to Sea of Tranquility, which I also haven't read. 





9. Nettle & Bone by T. Kingfisher (fantasy)

I am so far behind in her backlist of books. That is to say, I have not read any. I know Kingfisher is immensely popular, but there are so many books I just didn't know where to start. Nettle & Bone was nominated for the Goodreads choice award for best fantasy, so I decided to start with this one. I don't really know anything about it, or Kingfisher's style, but if I do end up enjoying it, which I really think I will, then it will be even more motivation to read her other published works. 




10. The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa

This is a make it or break it year for this book. I thin kit has been on my TBR for the last three years, so if I don't read it now, I never real. I keep opening this on my kindle only to see a different title I'm more excited over. The thing is, this sounds so good! I really want to read this but I just haven't. I also want to make it a point to read more translated works. I rarely do so I know I'm missing out on great books from around the world. This was nominated for a slough of awards, including the World Fantasy Award (2020), the Best Translated Book Award (2020), National Book Award for Translated Literature (2019), International Booker Prize (2020). I really hope I like this but am nervous because I did DNF Ogawa's last book, Revenge. 





Comments