March Recap

 Books

Stats:

Books Read: 10
Books DNF'd: 1
Average Rating: 
Most Read Genre: Fantasy 
Physical Books: 4
Ebooks: 4
Audiobooks: 2
Rereads: 
Average Page Count:  408

Highest Rating ★★★★★

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson


Mini Review:
This is my third reread of this book and each time I love it more than the last since I can pick up on connections throughout later books. There's a feeling I get after reading an amazing epic fantasy that is unlike anything else. I'm planning on rereading the series prior to the release of the fifth and newest book in the series in December. 

Lowest Rating ★⍣☆☆☆

Your Shadow Half Remains by Sunny Moraine




Mini Review:
This felt like a mash up of horror books that I've read before. Because of that, it felt very unoriginal. Isolation, crows being symbolic of evil, a mysterious stranger, an unexplainable illness. It had a lot of interesting ideas, but due to it being a novella, there wasn't much payoff. Everything came to an abrupt end within the last 5 pages. I wanted to learn more about the illness, but due to the character living alone in a house that isn't near anyone else, we don't even get to know much about it.

I think this would have been much better as a longer book so the ideas could be further fleshed out.

Movies

Stats:

Movies Watched: 8
Most Watched Genre: Horror
Average Rating: 3.5
Rewatches: 1

Highest Rating ★★★★⍣

Oppenheimer (2023)




Mini Review: 
This film was a feat! The score, the visuals, the acting. Everything was perfect. I can see why everyone is talking about that auditorium scene as well. This movie was 3 hours long and it was worth every moment. I loved the switches from black and white to color as well. So good!

Lowest Rating ★★⍣☆☆

Damsel (2024)




Mini Review: 
I read the book and if I had to choose again, I'd go with the book. I won't spoil it, but the ending in the book was so much better. With such a stellar cast, I'm wondering how the dialogue could be so bad. I genuinely did think the dragon story was very well done, but the plot was so rushed there was no time to let the story breath.

You can read my review for the book here

TV

Rating: 6/10

I watched the much anticipated Avatar: The Last Airbender live action remake this month. I won't harp on it too much, as I've watched many reviews and agree with a vast majority of them. Here are some of my quick thoughts. 

A lot of fantasy shows fail when the season is too short. With only eight episodes in this first installment, there was not enough time to fully get to know the world, the characters, and a fully fleshed out plot. It moved so fast that if you weren't already familiar with the show, it may have been difficult to be introduced to so many characters in quick succession. On top of that, we were given these side characters but then they weren't seen, or they were barely seen again. They needed more episodes this season and if they would have had 10 or 12, it would have been better. 

Oh my god the expositions. I don't need every character to explain their motivation out loud! Audiences are not dumb. We do not need to be spoon fed plot lines or actions of each character, not once, but multiple times. I cannot forgive the grandma giving us the original intro either. That was just not well done. They also changed a lot of characters in what I find to be a bad way. They completely butchered Bumi and the secret tunnel episodes. The plot of the anime was so good and they didn't need to change it. Many characters fell completely flat and overall I was just disappointed in the show. The best thing about this remake was the special effects. The fight scenes and the way they portrayed bending I thought was really well done. 


Comments